Monday, August 27, 2012

The Shuttle Bus From Hell (Part 2)

Sorry this post has been severely delayed; intense week, but I'm sure you know better than anyone that life is generally stressful. Welcome back to my evil shuttle bus re-telling! Last time on my blog, I talked about the types of people that would take the bus, and ended with the angry dbags that would delight in throwing things everywhere. I forgot a few types of people on the other list:

6) The Troublemakers. The ones who start drama before the van even leaves the parkinglot, or those who knowingly exchange glances with other people on the van that there is someone on there who is "like totally not cool". I think the most infamous time I had with troublemakers was when there were international students on the bus, and some people on both sides started with racist comments. I was over-tired, not sleeping enough, barely eating to the point I lost thirty pounds, never catching a moment to myself, and bitter and annoyed at how my circle of friends was crumbling. So when they started with the racism, I snapped. I said if they didn't stop with the racist comments, I'd drive off the road and we'd all die together, racism be damned. Of course I didn't mean it. Let me stress this again, I had ZERO intentions of driving off the road with a van full of people. Are you still reading? I would NOT have driven off the road, but they were drunk, so yeah, they believed me. And if they didn't believe me, they now knew I was bat-shit crazy and that they should probably shut up. Either way, it worked. Do I suggest doing that to help in future situations? Hell no. Don't do it.

7) The Ones You Worry About. They're kind and excited for the evening; too excited. You see them coming back to the van, bouncing off their friends like a ping-pong ball and giggling and hiccuping old rum. It's someone's birthday, and the birthday girl is goooooone like the wind. I'm so worried about this particular girl who can't even keep her eyes open, so I ask if they can let her sit in the front seat instead of the often loud and boisterous backseats. The girl in the passenger seat is so silent--an oddity in a group of people who are still excited about the evening. I try to keep the music to a dull roar since the others want to keep their good time going, and I don't want the girl next to me to be sick. She curls into a ball, wound around the seatbelt uncomfortably, head pressed against the cool glass of the window for some blessed relief from the nausea and the heat of one too many drinks. Each bump I drive over sends her head smacking heavily against the window, but she still doesn't move. As we stop at a local gas station for munchies, her friends try to give her water, but her stomach threatens to rebel. In a van full of intoxicated young adults, the last thing you want to do is have one person be sick. It'd be a catastrophic domino affect of putrescence.


You worry, but as long as they're not in danger, there's really nothing else to do but to go back to campus and sleep it off and accept that there's going to be a crappy morning ahead of you.

All in all, the whole job wasn't too bad. It was a paycheck. I got to listen to the radio all the time, so I got to listen to all the music I wanted (now I have no idea what's popular on the radio, which I guess is sometimes a good thing, ever since freakin "Call Me Maybe" exists), and the job definitely worked around other things since it happened in the middle of the night. Definitely not the worst job out there, but I still think the newbies have it easy since it was myself and the others who got the brunt of the assault. :P until next time--and again, sorry about the delay.

2 comments:

  1. I like your lists - they flow in narrative and make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tazi! I love your blog! Your posts are like potato chips, I can't have just one!

      Delete

Commenting Encouraged!