Monday, August 6, 2012

Umm...Naturalist?

If you include all the different franchises and other jobs I've had, I've had about 11 different jobs since 2005. It's not that I'm a bad worker, I've never been fired, but these days, working two jobs at a time is pretty much the norm.

One of the jobs I've had, and the most recent, is being a State Park Naturalist. The job is fun and rewarding, and it requires basic knowledge of biology, marine science, marine biology, fisheries, or an enthusiasm for fisheries and marine life is sufficient. While the term, "naturalist" should apply to many parts of the park and different life forms, there has been a recent focus on marine life. Why is this important? It's coming, don't worry.

A normal day at the park usually involves answering the same couple of questions again and again, but it's offset by gorgeous ocean views, cute animals, and kind people. On this particular day, an older couple beckoned me outside to try to identify a plant. Immediately worried (I can barely identify grass), I assured the couple I would try my best. They pointed out a lethal-looking rose plant that grows frequently near the sea. Before it blooms, large, ugly bulbs form before the bright fuchsia flowers.

I told the couple that I was sorry, but I wasn't sure of the exact name of the rose bush. To my surprise, the man gripped my shirt and forcibly turned me so he could read and show me the Department of Environmental badge on my shirt. With a sneer he said as he gestured to the patch, Uhh....Naturalist?

Uhh...douchebag?

At the time, I was too shocked to do anything but smile and laugh nervously. But once I got home, I realized how upset I was. It's one thing to be upset that I couldn't identify a plant even though I could identify a room full of fish, but it's another thing to lay hands on another person. There's plenty of other ways to let me know of my inferiority with botany.

It's never okay for someone to put their hands on you if they're a stranger, meaning you ill will, or simply unwanted contact. How much would be too much to let that man know he can't do things like that? Am I just over-reacting? Have you ever had a stranger grab you / invade your personal space? What's the right protocol?




Uhh...Naturalist?
Uhh...touch me again and see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I like to shout, "Ouch! I just got a shot there!" Even if I didn't, it makes the person grabbing me feel like a royal douche canoe.

    P.S. I Googled the answer to the flower question. They are rose-hips. Now we know!

    http://www.directgardening.com/detail.asp?ProductID=6661

    ReplyDelete

Commenting Encouraged!